Thread: how to bleed baseboard heater from boiler

Thanks

how to bleed baseboard heater from boiler

hello,

i looking to find out how to bleed the air out of my baseboard heater. i know there is a lot of air trapped up in there as i can here the water inside the baseboard as the heat turns on. i have had the system bleed last year and from watching my buddy do it it seem very easy. i just dont remember how it was done. i remeber that we had to close off the valve right under under the garden hose attachment valve and then open up the garnden hose valve. then i think there was the green fast fill handel we had to open, but i'm not too sure. i have attach pictures of the boiler to show how my set up is.

there are two zone that is used in the house. one for the basement, and the other for the first floor. in the picture the one with the black insulation above the garden hose valve is the one that is for the first floor and has the air in the system.

also what is the correct pressure in the system supposed to be and how do you set it.

thanks in advance.

Thanks
    You are correct about the steps taken to purge the air from your system .
    Close the valve on top of your circulator and attach a hose to the threaded garden hose connection (valve) . Allow the water and air to purge out until you have only full water (no air) . You should not have to fast fill the boiler by means of lifting the handle or sliding the handle over on the water feeder , it should and usually will maintain enough water in the boiler to purge the zones individually.
    Perform this sequence on one zone at a time .
    Remember to open the valve on top of the circulator when you are finished purging .
    The normal operating pressure for most heating systems is 12-15 lbs psi .
    This is automatically set by means of the fill valve which has a pressure reducer and regulator built into it from the factory .
    Great photos by the way ... it helps us to help you better .
    heating instructor
    Hope this helps you
    Heating Instructor

Thanks
    heating instructor,

thanks for telling me how to bleed out my system.

i bleed out my system this past saturday night and did not here any air/water noise coming from my radiators that night/sunday morning. i used a garden hose and filled up a 5 gallon bucket about five time to make sure the air was completely out of the system. the heat in my house has not come on since then due to it being mild the past few days. yesterday evening the heat did turn on briefly when i came home from work and again i heard the water/ air going threw my radiator again. is it possible that i did not get all the air out of the system when i bleed it the other night? also i was told that i do not have a air purge on my system which i should get. is this something that i can install my self?

i am going to bleed out the system again tonight as its supposed to get cold again now, and i dont want to hear the air/water in the middle of the night.

thanks,

Thanks
    Yes , auto bleeders , purge, are devices that are utilized on the boiler and or baseboard to automatically purge air from the system if there is a need .
    Cutting and replacing of fittings and soldering is usually necessary to accomplish this , so if your not comfortable with plumbing , then it is suggested to have a pro install the auto bleeders for you .
    Best of luck .
    Hope this helps you
    Heating Instructor

Thanks
    i have the same thing to do.

here are some of my boiler: http://picasaweb.google.com/piet.johnson/Boiler

which is the valve above the circulator (i guess, the question is where is the circulator?

will i have to use the manual fill (which one is that too) considering i have almost no pressure?

i raised a baseboard radiator, which is why i drained the system, and now i'm in a bind.

thanks

Thanks
    You have small screw type shutoff valves on top of two of your circulators in the photos and in one photo you have a standard type globe valve. These are the valves you will shut off first , the open the valves with hose connection threads on them one at a time and allow water flow out until you have a steady stream of water without any air .

When you are finished with each zone individually , remeber to open the shutoff valves you closed to purge the zones and all should be fine.

Your automatic feeder is the red bell shaped device that will read B&G on it . You will see a lever that you can lift ,CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY to fast feed water into the boiler while purging the zones. Keep an eye on the pressure guage to assure you dont go over 25 lbs of water pressure or you will have water coming out the relief valve.

Heating Instructor
    Hope this helps you
    Heating Instructor

Thanks

zone valves

Quote Originally Posted by Heating Instructor
    You have small screw type shutoff valves on top of two of your circulators in the photos and in one photo you have a standard type globe valve. These are the valves you will shut off first , the open the valves with hose connection threads on them one at a time and allow water flow out until you have a steady stream of water without any air .

When you are finished with each zone individually , remeber to open the shutoff valves you closed to purge the zones and all should be fine.

Your automatic feeder is the red bell shaped device that will read B&G on it . You will see a lever that you can lift ,CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY to fast feed water into the boiler while purging the zones. Keep an eye on the pressure guage to assure you dont go over 25 lbs of water pressure or you will have water coming out the relief valve.

Heating Instructor
    If you have zone valves for each zone and only one circulator for all zones do I need to open the zone valve for the zone I am purging?

Thanks
    mt,

Yes you will need to manually open one zone valve at a time .
    Purge as desribed .

Heating Instructor
    Hope this helps you
    Heating Instructor

Thanks
    We have recently started hearing loud air noises in the upstairs zone of our water baseboard heating system (run by an oil-fired furnace). The individual radiators in the rooms have no place to bleed air, thus we need to bleed it from the furnace itself.

We have the 'garden hose connections', to run water/air out of them, but we do not have an obvious shut-off valves to cut off the water from circulating. Instead, we have "screws" above and below our circulators.

Are these screws the shutoff valves? If so how do I go about closing them? I tried turning the screw above the circulator (between the 'garden hose connection' and the circulator) to the right (clockwise) and water started (a few drops) leaking out of the screw. So I turned it back to starting position.

Also, sHould the oil furnace be off when I bleed the system?

Thanks for any help.