Thread: Kitchen Sink Odor - Smells like Dirt

Thanks

Kitchen Sink Odor - Smells like Dirt

That sounds weird - but the kitchen sink has a distinct DIRT smell (which makes me think mold but I could be wrong).

The house is about 20yrs old. The house in on city water and sewer. The kitchen is a double basin sink - with the dishwasher feeding into teh garbage disposal. We have only noticed the smell in the kitchen sink.

I've tried Bleach (non-diluted), Draino, Vinegar (and Vinegar Ice Cubes) all to no prevail. I even ran th dishwasher with Vinegar to see if it was something in that line.

My guess is it is the garbage disposal but I have no basis for it. The sink does feed from the RIGHT basin to the LEFT basin to the drain. Its hard to determine if I smell DIRT from one side or another more. If I had to guess I would say it was the RIGHT basin (with the garbage disposal) but we only use the LEFT basin to rinse dishes so perhaps it is just because we don't use it very often to notice it.

I took off the goose neck and checked for a clog - didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

So at this point I'm wondering if there are some things I can do to try and get rid of the smell or does this mean I need to replace the disposal? I don't even know for a fact that it is the disposal?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Kitchen Sink Odor - Smells like Dirt

You can replace you garbage disposal or remove it, I took mine out 25 years ago after a few years they all can smell.

In the future please do not use chemicals in your disposal/plumbing piping system, homeowners should only try and use a mix of vinegar, backing power and hot water so you won't hurt the system or someone.